Sunday, April 29, 2012

Easy Grain-Free Pizzas

Pizza has got to be one of my favorite things. The hot, gooey cheese, spicy pepperoni, warm pizza sauce and soft bread underneath....what's not to love? It's an easy food to eat and I don't know many people who don't like some variation of it. The problem with it, of course, is everything. Pizza Hut's pizza's are loaded with sodium, carbs and a high amount of calories. But, being the responsible company they are, they listed their nutrition information here. If you enjoy Pizza Hut pizza, think again about consuming their product. Instead, I'm going to share an easy recipe with you that I think you may enjoy. This recipe was originally inspired by one I found here.

Here is what you will need:

1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
3-4 eggs (I used 3 and added a little bit of water to thin out)
1-2 tbsp Italian Spice mix (optional)
Butter, ghee, or coconut oil for sauteeing

Find a suitable pan and preheat it on medium. Mix the coconut flour and eggs, then add in the Parmesan cheese. Next, add in the spices. Play around with the amount of spice you want to use. Coconut flour tends to be a little sweet (to me at least) so adding the spices really helped add to the pizza flavor. Let the dough sit for a bit so the coconut flour can absorb the liquid. It should look something like this:




Once your pan is evenly heated, add your butter, ghee or coconut oil and wait for it to melt. Once melted, use a spoon to scoop a small portion of the pizza dough onto the pan. This is what mine looked like:


I made them small because the dough is easier to flip. If you have never worked with coconut flour (or almond flour for that matter) it's different than regular wheat dough. In my opinion I think it's a little more delicate. Play around with it and see what works best for you.

Once your pizza pancakes are evenly cooked, remove them from the pan and place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. This is where the fun part begins: your toppings.

I chose to make my own pizza sauce according to a recipe I found here. This is what I did: 

1 7 oz jar of tomato paste (I try my best to stay away from canned tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups water (I used a little less because I wanted it thicker)
1/3 cup olive oil (Again, I used a little less here, too, because I wanted the sauce thicker)
1 tsp crushed garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tsp Italian Spice Mix



Mix the ingredients together and bring to a boil. Once it begins to bubble, lower the heat until it simmers. I let it sit like this for awhile stirring occasionally, and when I was ready to top my pizzas, I turned the heat down to low. It took about 15 minutes. The original post recommends you let the sauce stand for several hours so it absorbs all the different flavors. This batch makes enough for several batches of your coconut flour pizzas so you can let it sit in the fridge overnight if you plan on making them again. I take the extra sauce and freeze it so it doesn't go bad just sitting there in the fridge.

Once your sauce it ready spread it along the top of the coconut flour patties along with toppings of your choice. Mozzarella, pepperoni salami, sausage, whatever your little heart desires. My son likes to keep it simple and just top it with cheese. I prefer some meat on my pizza so I generally top it with salami (since I always keep that on hand).
 
Final step; place your pizzas in the oven and broil them for a few minutes. I usually leave them in there for around 5 minutes but I watch them to make sure they don't burn. When the cheese is melted, pull them out, let them cool, and enjoy the wonderful thing that is pizza. 


A recipe like this is easily modified. You can sub the Parmesan cheese for many other things. Play around with it and find what you like best.

Let me know what other variations you tried so I can give them a shot! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment